Conversion Directions For Older Hot Tubs & Spas
This conversion takes 5-days. The Natural Hot Tub Company® Penetrating Cleanser works well in removing past chemical build-up in hot tubs & spas equipment and lines. This water will have a higher concentration of chemicals used in the past and hot tubs & spas should not be used during this time. Please read instructions completely before starting.
- Remove filter(s) and leave out during this 5-day cleansing cycle. Purchase new filters if they are over 1 year old. Clean filters that are less than a year old with The Natural Hot Tub Company® Filter Soak.
- Add 1-full bottle of The Natural Hot Tub Company® Penetrating Spa Cleanser into your existing water, regardless of how old the water is or what chemicals have been used in the past. Be sure all jets are open. Two bottles are recommended if hot tubs & spas are over 5-yrs old.
- Maintain temperature at 90 degrees or higher & run filtration for a minimum of 6-8 hrs per day, 24-7 is best.
- After 5 days, turn off breaker & drain.
- Clean under headrests & bottom of cover with The Natural Hot Tub Company’s® Filter-Soak or Penetrating Spa Cleanser by using 1 capful to 1 cup of warm water.* This is a good time to inspect your cover for any tears, which would allow contaminated water to drip back into your spa water. If your cover has any rips or tears we highly recommend purchasing a new one.
- 'Back Flush' by shutting off spa drain, put garden hose into the filter area, and fill until bottom area of spa is full or at least 6-8 inches high. Rinse thoroughly and drain this water out.
- Plug the drain, put clean or new filter(s) back in, fill spa following new spa instructions and turn breaker on. Then complete instructions for New Spas.
*One part household bleach to 10 parts water can be used to clean cover and headrest. Baking soda or vinegar diluted with water is suitable for cleaning the interior of your spa. Never use anything with soap or anything which will leave a soap residue. Remember, unless you blew out your lines with an air compressor you will always leave 3 to 5 quarts of water inside your pipes and lines.
New Spa Directions
- Water mold and bacteria may have collected in your garden hose and will contaminate the spa water. To prevent this, shut off nozzle end of your garden hose, place 1/2 tsp of Spa Chlorine Granules (99% sodium dichlor) down the spigot end of the hose, attach to the spigot and fill. Let sit for 5 minutes, then flush.
- Fill spa. The Natural Hot Tub Company’s® garden hose Pre-Filter is highly recommended to help eliminate the need for additional chemicals. If you are on a well with hard metals, you can use water from you household water softener system if you have one.
- Shock with 2 teaspoons of Spa Chlorine Granules (99% sodium dichlor) for hot tubs & spas up to 500 gallons. New hot tubs & spas are water tested at the factory and some still have this old water left in the lines. 'Shocking' the water the first day is recommended to resolve this issue.
- After the temperature reaches 90 degrees or above, shake well and add The Natural Hot Tub Company® Water Treatment & Conditioner. (1/2-bottle for spas up to 250 gallons or 1-full bottle for spas up to 500 gallons.)
- Run all pumps on high with all jets open for 5-minutes and enjoy. Check your water with a reliable test strip the next day, and only adjust if necessary.
- Make sure filter(s) are rinsed regularly, once every week or two with average use.
- The filtration system should be filtering at least 6-8 hrs per day. 24-7 filtration is recommended if possible. Always leave all jets including neck jets, waterfalls, etc open slightly when spa is not in use, this will allow our enzymes to circulate fully within the hot tubs & spas water.
- Shocking your spa water every week is recommended or anytime you have cloudy water or get an organic odor. To be more environmental we suggest 99% sodium dichlor, because this particular type of chlorine dissipates out of your spa water, when you run all pumps on high with the cover open for 30 minutes (be sure all jets are open). This will also ensure you don't have to soak in chlorine, or breathe in the fumes while enjoying your hot tubs & spas. The Natural Hot Tub Company® Water Treatment & Conditioner is also compatible with non-chlorine shocks, however it is not recommended because it contains up to 7 other chemicals that do not dissipate out of hot tubs & spas water.
- Add recommended amount of The Natural Hot Tub Company® Water Treatment & Conditioner every 3-months. (1/2-bottle for spas up to 250 gallons or 1-full bottle for spas up to 500 gallons).
- If your source water is hard water then the recommended amount of a Stain & Scale Control (Non-Toxic Defender), should be used weekly, following directions on bottle. If you are on a well with high iron or other metals, definitely use a garden hose pre-filter. If you have already filled your spa, Metal Gone may be used. All recommended products may be found on our website.
- Using our program you should be able to drain your spa water safely by ensuring a zero reading of chlorine using a test strip.
- Rinse Filters with hose nozzle with high pressure or save water and time with our Filter Flosser.
- After any addition of 99% DiChlor, run spa with cover off for one or two cycles (15-30 min).
2 times weekly
2-3 times weekly
2 times weekly
3-4 times weekly
||Every 10-14 days
||Every 10-14 days
|Add / Shock
||Shock w/ 99% DiChlor
|Shock w/ 99% DiChlor
|Add 99% DiChlor
|Add 99% DiChlor
Before testing your water always run pumps on high for at least 1-minute for better accuracy. The Natural Hot Tub Company’s® Water Treatment and Conditioner helps stabilize the pH and alkalinity levels. When making any adjustments to your hot tubs & spas water by adding products you should only add one product at a time. When adjusting pH and alkalinity, wait 24 hours before retesting your water. See Hamilton Index for more information on proper hot tubs & spas water balance.
|Water Temp. Range
||90 degrees or higher
||7.2-8.2 - Red
||80-120 - Green
• If you have hard water, use a Stain & Scale control (Defender)
• If low calcium Hardness (under 550 ppm), use a Calcium Increaser